From British Columbia, Canada:

My grandson gets two to three insulin shots a day. Lately, the last two months or so, we have noticed that, at the injection site, he has red round welts which eventually disappear. They don't seem to be itchy. They are the size of a "loony" [Canadian dollar coin. Ed]. We have tried not using alcohol swab to cleanse the area to see if this made a difference but it hasn't. We are using the Novo pens, as he get both long and short insulin (most times), What would be causing this redness? Any suggestions? We alternate sites every week but this also doesn't seem to make a difference to the affected areas.

I am not sure what you are describing without seeing it. It may be a local reaction to the injection, possibly the preservative in the insulin. It would be worth showing it to your diabetes team members.