Question:

From Maryland, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 25 years (I am now 30) and am in pretty good control (A1Cs 5.9 - 6.9). I take Regular/NPH twice a day, plus extra insulin as needed. I am college educated with a BS in Health Science. I have been on my own now in the "working world" for approximately 10 years. I have had trouble in most if not all of my professional jobs due to my diabetes - schedules, working environment, and type of work, etc. I find it hard to maintain a good job with diabetes. I need a job that moves me around to help metabolize my insulin injections. Most jobs for me in my industry/skill level are computer related or too stationary I feel. I do not want a blue collar job either. I find I am too qualified for most jobs or under qualified. I am looking for Career Guidance for a person in my situation. Please help provide me with some good ideas for - jobs, industries, and or places for people with type 1 diabetes to work. Thank you very much for your insight.

Answer:

It is often the case that sedentary jobs are not healthy for anyone, never mind someone with diabetes. Many workplaces are now incorporating exercise gyms on site for employees. As has already been mentioned, a more flexible insulin regimen such as fast acting insulin with meals along with a basal insulin such as Lantus or the insulin pump may help somewhat. In terms of exercise, often you can create your own exercise at work by taking breaks and walking up and down stairs during the day and going for walks during your lunch hour. You can also try to schedule a daily exercise routine either before you go to work or afterwards. The effect of exercise on improved insulin sensitivity partially lasts all day, so regular exercise before or after work might still help improve blood sugars during the day. If your blood sugar goes up after meals because you can't get enough exercise, you might try eating smaller meals with more frequent snacks in between. It makes it easier to have he same schedule every day, but if this is not possible, going to a more flexible insulin regimen such as 4 shots a day or the pump may help you manage both your diabetes and your job. You only tell us you have a degree in health science, so it is hard to know what you are actually qualified to do or want to do.

Posted to Daily Care and Other Social Issues