Question:

From Toronto, Canada:

I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, so I'd like someone else to validate these symptoms before I bother the doctor with an appointment. I think I may be diabetic, and would like to be checked, if you think it is worthwhile.

I'm in my 20s, but slightly overweight, Caucasian; some diabetes in my extended family (aunt, great-aunt and uncle). Lately I've felt very tired, and have to urinate a lot (like, I wake up 2-3 times over the night to use the bathroom). I want to nap sometimes during the day, especially after eating. I've been eating a lot but don't think I've gained weight, my feet tend to go numb easily, my vision has been pretty blurry lately, especially after waking up, and I have eczema on my hands (like, dry, flaky skin).

The problem is, I also suffer from depression, so I'm not sure which symptoms are confined to that. Should I still be concerned about possible diabetes? Is there a link or any related concerns between diabetes and depression?

Answer:

You need to have a fasting blood sugar to check for diabetes. You cannot be sure until it is done. I hope it is negative. You just don't know.