From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

My grandson says that he doesn't have to check his blood sugar before his football ball games. He tells me it's none of my business. His parents don't want me to interfere, they say, "He's ten years old, he has to figure it on his own." He removes his pump before he begins playing and he refuses to check his blood sugar prior to disconnecting. While in the game, he just stands there and watches the opposing team player come at him and he doesn't attempt any deflective maneuvers. His parents just watch and "tsk." Any comments would be most helpful.

Ok, there are at least two different issues here.

1. Yes, you ask from the heart. But you aren't his parent. He need not be so smart-alecky about the response ("it's none of your business...") but, he may be right. However, it is HIS business and, by default, the parents' business.

2. I disagree with the parents that he "has to figure it out on his own." Where's the parenting in that? Yes, children must be allowed to fail as well as to succeed. But don't put up road blocks!

3. In my opinion, it is unwise for him to not check his glucose before disconnecting his pump. He should also check in the middle of each quarter also. Tell him that it would be very uncool to go up for the winning catch and then muff it from hypoglycemia. He will most certainly be letting himself down, but also the team. There are many articles on pro football and baseball and other athletes (and rock stars, etc.) and how they deal with their diabetes.

4. His football skills are things for his coach to cultivate. Family can help but can't be judgemental.

5. And do not hesitate to inform his Diabetes Team that he is slacking in his glucose checks. Maybe they ARE ok with his routine (I would not be). The pump may be seen as a priviledge; one need not use a pump to get as good (or as bad) control.

Posted to Exercise and Sports