Question:

From New Hampshire, USA:

At this time we bring our grandson to Dartmouth Medical center. He sees a diabetes nurse 90% of the time. I am not even sure anymore who the diabetes doctor is. We could bring him to Boston and my question is, which hospital would his care be supervised better at? Is Dartmouth or does Dartmouth have any kind of rating as Boston seems to? My concern of course is for my grandson of course and we want to make sure his quality of life is as good as we can get.

Answer:

You should discuss your concerns with your children and they may consider discussing this with your grandson's diabetes team as well.

There are many excellent diabetes care facilities in New England: BayState in Springfield, MA; UMass in Worcester; NEDEC in Waltham, MA; the Joslin Clinic, Children's Hospital and MGH all in Boston. All would be available for consultation or long-term follow up.