Question:

From Lincolnshire, UK:

My son has been unwell for some time. His symptoms are blacked out vision several times a day for a few seconds each time, blurred vision, and head pain in the frontal lobe for a few seconds several times a day. He is also more thirsty than usual and very irritable. Yesterday he had an appointment with a paediatrician. A routine urine sample showed that he had glucose and protein in his urine. The doctor told us he was probably diabetic, however a blood sugar test showed pretty normal at 5.7 mmol/l [103 mg/dl]. We are now very confused. I have been asked to take him to G.P. for urine test again today and he will need more tests in the future. Should I be worried? This has been going on for approximately 5 months and his symptoms are definitely becoming worse and more frequent.

Answer:

This certainly does not sound typical of diabetes and requires further investigation. The presence of protein and glucose in his urine suggests that he may have a kidney problem. While it is impossible to suggest that you shouldn't worry, you must allow the paediatrician to work through the problem to reach the correct diagnosis.