From Florida, USA:

How can I control my blood sugar? What kind of food can I eat? I count carbs. Can you find some one to talk to me about what I can eat? I am a 11 year old boy who has type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed in August 2001 and cannot control my blood sugar and I need help.

Good for you for wanting to take control of your diabetes. Your questions are really important ones. And they are ones that cannot simply be answered completely on the Internet.

I cannot tell from what you wrote but I think this is what you need.

1. You have had diabetes now for two years. Hopefully you are followed by a physician's office that specializes in caring for children with diabetes! This is usually a pediatric endocrinologist. In your state, there are pediatric endocrinologists in Tallahassee, Pensacola, Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, St. Petersburg and other cities. Some of these doctors travel to smaller cities for out-reach clinics.

Please ask your parent or caregiver and regular doctor to call one of these centers and find out how and when you all can be seen. It's best to be seen as a family. These offices will often have specialized diabetes nurses, and diabetes nutrition specialists to help you make good food choices, and adjust your insulin doses, and tell you new techniques, and provide smaller blood glucose sample machines, and many other up-to-date considerations.

2. If you are already followed by a diabetes specialist, they should be able to address your questions. Never be hesitant to ASK!

3. Sometimes young people are followed by diabetes specialists that mainly take care of adults. That may be fine. But you are only 11. The pediatric diabetes office may be better set up to address the questions of someone who is approaching those middle-school years!