Question:

From Springbok, Northern Cape, South Africa:

I desperately want to use an insulin pump. I fit all the criteria, and would really appreciate some details on where to get a pump, and how much it would cost. Insulin and sticks costs unbelievably much in South Africa, and it seems to be a solution to my financial crisis as well.

Answer:

The insulin pump won't save you money, unfortunately, even if it gives you flexibility, improved glucose control, fewer episodes of hypoglycemia etc. You still needs lots of daily blood glucose levels to guide food and insulin decisions whether on a pump or an MDI regimen. You should talk with your diabetology team and see what is available. I know that there are pump users in Johannesburg and Capetown.

Posted to Insulin Pumps