Question:

From San Francisco, California, USA:

My younger sister developed type 1 diabetes at age 10 after a flu episode. I developed type 1 diabetes at 25 after a terrible bout of flu. I have a teenage son age 17, 6'2", 152lb., who rows on a varsity crew team. He is healthy and has taken a flu shot for the last 5 years. In the past I believed that this may keep him from contracting a bad case of flu and developing diabetes. My question is twofold:

1. I've heard that only 20% of the population get the flu. Is it better to take the flu shot and be exposed to the dead virus, or just risk getting the flu?

2. What impact will extremely strenuous crew workouts six times a week have on his body's immune system? Can this trigger juvenile diabetes?

Answer:

Strenuous excercise does not precipitate Autoimmune Diabetes. Since you yourself are already diabetic you would be well advised to have a flu shot. It greatly diminishes the chance of severe acidosis should you get randomly infected.

Posted to Other Illnesses and Research: Causes and Prevention