From Ridley Park, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 14 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 4 weeks ago. It was brought to my attention by his school nurse that there is a link between Seroquel (which he is currently taking) and diabetes. I am trying to find out if it is linked to type 1 diabetes. I realize there is a link to type 2 with other antipsychotic medications but my understanding is that is due to weight gain that the meds can cause, Seroquel does not cause weight gain. I did see a question on this web site posted by a parent of a 13 year old who is on Seroquel and recently diagnosed as having type 1 diabetes and they were referred to an article on type 2 diabetes. Can you provide any further information?

I am unaware of Seroquel (quetiapine) having any link to classic, autoimmune, Type 1 diabetes.

Posted to Other Medications