Question:

From Florida, USA:

I have been reading up on some of the symptoms of diabetes. I have recently noticed that I have to go to the bathroom all the time and I never can get enough to drink. It scares me because I think I might have type 1 diabetes. Would I see other really dramatic symptoms occur if I really had it, or is it all just in my mind? I really need some help.

Answer:

I appreciate your concerns. Because of your symptoms, I would strongly recommend that you see your physician for diabetes testing. Although this can be a pretty scary time, getting treatment for diabetes BEFORE you get sick with diabetes is much better than waiting until you are sick. Your pediatrician is a great resource for diabetes testing -- and can talk with you at length about what all of that means. If you haven't discussed your concerns with your parents, it is time to do so today.

Please let us know how you're doing after the evaluation.