Question:

From Wilmington, Delaware, USA:

I recently read an article stating that the anti-psychotic drug Zyprexa (Olanzapine) can be responsible for causing diabetes. I developed type 2 diabetes after starting this drug and was wondering if you had any information about this connection. Do you think the drug could make your diabetes worse, and would it be beneficial to switch to another type of anti-psychotic medicine?

Answer:

Certain medications will raise your blood sugar. The antidepressant class of drugs, Zyprexa and others are included in this. There is generally no benefit in switching to another medication and I would not switch any medications without first discussing with your physician.

ABS

Posted to Other Medications