From Greenville, Ohio, USA:

I am wondering how exactly to deal with my son's school. My son will be 7. He went to this same school last year with out a problem with the monitor and such being left in the classroom. Now the school is refusing to let the glucagon shot to even be in the school building. I am not understanding this concept. They refuse to give him this shot even though it is in written order by his doctor.

Schools are required to provide a medically safe environment for students. For a student with diabetes, this means that at school staff member who has been trained in glucagon administration must be available at all times. It is recommended that school train several staff members in addition to the school nurse. For more information, call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES.

Posted to School and Daycare