From Fernie, British Columbia, Canada:

What percentage of kids with diabetes are allergic to penicillin and had their reaction before they were diagnosed with diabetes? Could this possibly play a part in developing diabetes? I recall when my child had his allergic reaction, my pharmacist said that with further reactions to penicillin it would eventually cause organ damage or shut down. I know of a friend's daughter with type 1 who also is allergic to penicillin and had her reaction before the diabetes came along! What do you think?

There is a little information to suggest that people with underlying autoimmune conditions are especially susceptible to allergic reactions; but for the most part this doesn't apply to Type IA Diabetes and the evidence, in any case, is ambivalent. A much more likely explanation of your child's experience is that the stress of a penicillin reaction, rather like that of an intercurrent infection, is sufficient to hasten the last stages of autoimmune destruction of the islet cells and so to precipitate insulin dependance.