Question:

From Tuftonboro, New Hampshire, USA:

I have been told that celiac has no treatment. I am not looking for a long-term treatment (although it would be nice.) For lactose-intolerant people there is a pill to counteract their reactions so they can have lactose. Is there any sort of pill to counteract celiac? I would love to enjoy my favorite foods again.

Answer:

Celiac is treated by removing gluten (wheat) from the diet. It helps with the disease, but there is no true cure. See a good nutritionist and gastroenterologist.

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

For people who are lactose intolerant, it is easy to provide the enzyme supplement lactase with intake of food. These are over-the-counter. Brand names include Lact-Aid and Dary-Ease. There are others. Ask you pharmacist.

Posted to Celiac