From Queens, New York, USA:

I am a school guidance counselor, trying to help a 9-year-old boy understand good and bad food choices for himself. I have been in touch with his doctor and will find out the number of carbohydrates he can eat at each meal and for snacks. But, I want to help educate him in regard to exactly what carbohydrate foods are. I, myself, don't understand, exactly what he can and can't eat. We both need some specifics and a childlike explanation of things. His parents are not educated.

Carbohydrates are commonly found in three main food groups from the food guide pyramid. These three groups are the breads and starches, fruit and fruit juice and milk and yogurt groups. Another food group that has carbohydrates are the "other carbohydrate" group, which consists of sweets, cakes, pies, cookies, regular sodas, etc. These other carbohydrates typically have a lot of carbohydrates for a small amount of food so they are discouraged in large amounts or on a routine basis, BUT can still be worked into a meal plan with some planning. What is stressed in diabetes meal planning nowadays is the total amount of carbohydrate at a meal or snack as opposed to the type of carbohydrate.