From Staten Island, New York, USA:

Our five-year-old daughter was diagnosed on May 31, 2003 with type 1 diabetes. She is on insulin. Her doctors said she can eat whatever she wants. I don't think this is healthy. Can you recommend a diet for her?

I would recommend that you schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning to develop an individualized meal plan that will both meet caloric needs and maintain optimal blood sugar control. Although meal planning is more flexible than it used to be, there still is a need for meal planning and consistent carbohydrate intake. Ask your physician for a referral to an RD if necessary.