Question:

From Manati, Puerto Rico:

I am part of CEBNAD, which is a committee that offers summer camps for children with diabetes, among other things, in Puerto Rico. Right now we are working with a Senator's assistant in order to verify the possibility to legislate for the "diabetes supplies" such as blood test strips, meters, lancets, etc. This Senator's assistant asked us how these items are covered in the US. Could you please provide me with this kind of information, and, if the funding is provided by federal funds, how do you access them? Here in Puerto Rico, approximately 60% of our children live under the poverty level (2000 census) and they do not perform the testing to control their blood sugar because they don't have money for the supplies.

Answer:

Approximately 45 states have passed legislation mandating that private health insurance policies cover diabetes education, testing equipment and supplies. In addition the Medicare program also provides similar coverage for senior citizens. Children who are covered through the child health insurance program (CHIP) only have coverage for diabetes stuff if the state includes it in their program. Likewise, with Medicaid, it is a state add on to the basic federal aid package. There is no generalized federal program for uninsured children that I am aware of.

DSH