From Pennsylvania, USA:

Can anyone give me an idea of the daily amount and type of insulin for a 9-year-old? A general idea? I know there are individualistic considerations, but I can't find an example child or a case study on dosages? Any suggestions?

The amount of insulin required for a child is determined by making a good estimate in your physician's office and frequently making changes to that dosing based on their response. There is no good way to accurately figure a dose based on mathematics -- rather it is best done by an experienced physician who carefully reviews the blood sugars. The range is typically between 0.4 and 1.5 units/kilogram/day total daily dose of insulin -- although there are exceptions even to that broad range.