Question:

From Redmond, Oregon USA:

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes after a urine sample was detected with sugar and a blood sugar test resulted in 280 mg/dl [15.5 mmol/L] reading. My daughter was then hospitalized to stabilize her sugar and insulin, and for education purposes. But, throughout her stay in the hospital, her sugar level remained normal. We were sent home and asked to record her blood sugar twice a day, or if vomiting occurs. Is she in the honeymoon stage already, or was she misdiagnosed? The doctor "thinks" that we may have caught it so early that her pancreas is still working.

Answer:

New onset diabetes? Maybe, but 280 mg/dl isn't normal. I agree with watching. I might have you test urine glucose.

Did you have an A1c test? If it is elevated, it supports diabetes, but an A1c isn't used to diagnose.

Could it be stress hyperglycemia? I have seen it too where the glucose is up because of stress, but it's not diabetes.