From Arkansas, USA:

I am interested in receiving cosmetic surgery--tummy tuck and liposuction to thigh areas. I have had Type 1 Diabetes for approximately 22 years and wear an insulin pump. I would classify my diabetic control as good--A1c ranges from 5 to 6%. I would like to know if there are any risks in addition to the common ones for this type of procedure for a diabetic person. I exercise regularly and strength train 3-4 times per week but have been unsuccessful in decreasing the fat in my abdomen and thigh area. Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

A couple of common sense issues are important here. Speak with your endocrinologist before the procedure. Topics such as blood sugar control around the procedure, areas you will use for insulin infusion after the procedure, and changes in your insulin regimen are important issues for discussion. Like any surgical procedure, good control of your sugars after surgery will help you heal and prevent infection. Specifically talk with your endocrinologist if this will change where you can infuse your insulin.

Posted to Surgery