Question:

From Durant, Oklahoma, USA:

My 18 month old son was born with a low blood sugar reading. However the doctor said that after they got his level up there would not be a long term problem with low blood sugar. He explained that since I am diabetic and the baby was large that it caused the baby to have a low reading and that it was not permanent. Now my son is 18 months old and I have recently checked his blood sugar, just out of curiosity, and found it to be 51 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L]. Is this normal for his age or should I insist that he be tested by the doctor?

Answer:

Infants' of Diabetic Mothers (IDM) is a well described condition, correctly described by your doctor. 51 is on the low side, but not abnormal for a 18 month old child. I would worry about 40s. Also have you done low standards on your meter? This is not likely a problem, but follow up with your pediatrician.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Family Planning