Question:

From Ohio, USA:

My husband has diabetes and he likes peanut butter. Is there a particular kind he should use? I am new at this and the doctor doesn't give too many suggestions. My husband eats a peanut butter sandwich about twice a week, and on wheat bread.

Answer:

There is no reason that your husband cannot have peanut butter with his meals. Actually peanut butter is an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, one of the better fats for your meals and snacks. I would advise you and your husband to schedule an appointment to meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. They can develop an individualized meal plan that works in your husband favorite foods and help your husband obtain optimal blood sugar control.

JMS