Question:

From Seattle, Washington, USA:

I am studying abroad in India and was wondering where in Bangalore I could purchase Humalog and/or NPH insulin in the event of an emergency.

Answer:

Humalog, NPH and the equivalent Novo products are widely available in India's main cities. It might also be useful to contact Eli Lilly to ask for the name and phone number of a regional representative and if you know where you are going to live you could pursue this to the point of the nearest pharmacy. If you are studying in a University they will have a Health Service that you could also contact.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Most pharmacies should carry Eli Lilly products in India. If you know where you will be at a University, perhaps the University staff can give you the telephone numbers of local pharmacies so that you could double check this ahead of your arrival. Of course, you can also overnight mail insulin from the USA as long as it is shipped in a temperature controlled container, Finally, you can bring a year's supply of all your diabetes equipment with you without any problem and just keep this stored in a reasonable refrigerator.

Additional comments from Dr. Charles Garcia:

I forwarded this question to an endocrinologist I know who studied in Bangalore and is from India. This is her response:
I know NPH insulin is available in Bangalore, India. I am sure Humalog is also available (I don't know this for a fact) as is Lantus insulin. The person may have to hook up with a physician / endocrinologist there who can then write her a prescription.
Aruna Venkatesh, MD

CAG

Posted to Insulin and Traveling