Question:

From Gloucester Township, New Jersey, USA:

Could that fact that my child weighed almost 10 pounds at birth have contributed to his developing Type 1 diabetes? I've heard that large birth weight increases the risk for developing diabetes. Does this only pertain to Type 2 diabetes?

Answer:

Insulin in intrauterine life is the main growth hormone. This is the reason that infants of insulin resistant mothers with type 2 diabetes so often have large birth weights. A birth weight of ten pounds does not in of itself predispose to type 1 A Autoimmune Diabetes. In fact, intrauterine malnutrition does seem to increase the liability to this form of diabetes.