Question:

From North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA:

My five-year-old daughter, who was diagnosed with type 1 at three, has just had routine blood work done and I am confused about the results. We were testing for celiac (she has no obvious symptoms) and her results came back as follows: TTG 17.5 normal 0-20, EMA-positive. Which one of these tests are more accurate in diagnosing celiac? My endocrinologist seems to think the TTG of under 20 would indicate she does not have celiac, but since the endomesial came back positive he is sending me to a GI specialist. Also, is it a bad sign that the TTG is so close to 20, or is anything under 20 good? I can't get to see the GI specialist until February and I think I'll go crazy if I have to wait that long to get some answers.

Answer:

I screen too and really leave this to the expertise of the GI doctor. Most of my positives are in three digits (over 100). It's likely not positive.

Posted to Celiac