Question:

From St. Augustine, Florida, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes since 1969. I lost my first child in 1978 and decided to start with tight control. I bought the first Dextrostix and have been checking since then. I now use the One touch Ultra and love it. My husband got laid off and recently took a new job. We just got the coverage available and they do not cover diabetic supplies unless it is generic. I have one bottle of insulin and one bottle of strips left and I am scared. Are there any resources available for assistance until we can find an insurance that will cover me?

Answer:

First, Florida has a very strong mandate for health insurance diabetes coverage of education, equipment and supplies. Unless your husband's group policy is self-funded or an ERISA policy, I suggest that you contact the Florida State Insurance Department for assistance. Their telephone number is in the blue pages of your telephone book.

Second, there is a very good website sponsored by the Georgetown University School of Health Policy that discusses how to get and hold health insurance along with information about how to protect yourself in each state. Go to www.healthinsuranceinfo.net. Please act quickly to protect your rights.

DSH

Posted to Insurance/Costs