Question:

From St. Paul, Indiana, USA:

Is there any connection between nesidioblastosis and growth hormone deficiency or other bone disorders?

Answer:

It is very difficult to answer your question without more information on whether this was the adenomatous or diffuse type of nesidioblastosis, or PHHI (Persistent Hypoglycemic Hyperinsulinemia of Infancy) as it is now called, and whether it was treated with diazoxide, octreotide, calcium channel blockers or surgery. I am rather guessing that a subtotal or even total resection of the pancreas was the treatment of choice and that you are concerned with poor growth in height since that time. If this is the case all I can say is that this has been reported; but not yet explained. There is no known connection between infantile hyperinsulinism and bone disorders or with growth after the neonatal period. If there is persistent hypoglycemia this might indicate a need for further surgery. A final possibility would be if your child had been treated over a long period with octreotide either by injection or by pump because somatostain analogues can inhibit the release of growth hormone.

Posted to Nesidioblastosis