From Pennsylvania, USA:

My 14-year-old son was diagnosed seven months ago with type 1 diabetes. He currently is on a two-shot-per-day insulin program and is in good control. He is very responsible, athletic and active. He currently takes one Centrum Multivitamin/MultiMineral Supplement. It was brought to my attention via a family member who is very much into health and fitness that I should consider giving my son a trace mineral called chromium. One of the objectives of this trace mineral is to regulate the blood sugar. When I asked the hospital endo six months ago, she had no clue as to what it was. What is your opinion about chromium? Is is beneficial to give my son? Is it safe? Are there any side effects that you know of? If given, would insulin requirements be affected and need to be adjusted as a result of this trace mineral intended to regulate blood sugars?

The current multi-vitamin, Centrum, that my son takes and my endo approved states there is 120 mcg of chromium already in this multivitamin/multimineral tablet. An additional Chromium tablet would add another approximate 200 mcg.

Do you know of any other mineral or vitamin that may be beneficial to individuals with type 1 diabetes?

There is absolutely no data on the use of chromium in children. I know chromium can be toxic. Until there is data from double-blind studies, I would stick to the amount in the Centrum.