Question:

From Kingston, New York, USA:

I was told by a friend that there has been pancreas transplantation surgery performed before. Is this true, and who can I contact for more information in my area?

Answer:

There have been many successful transplants both of whole organs and more recently of the insulin producing islets. There remains however the major problem that there are too few donors and more importantly, as far as young people are concerned, the transplants need to be protected by lifetime immunosuppression. In the years to come there is every reason to hope that these difficulties can be overcome and you should keep in touch with www.childrenwithdiabetes.com.

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, CWD Founder and Editor:

See www.insulin-free.org/index_pancreas.htm for more information about pancreas transplants.

JSH

Posted to Research: Cure