Question:

From South Gate, California, USA:

Can a 35 year old type 1 diabetic woman donate a healthy (diabetes-free) oocyte (egg) without the risk of having a child with diabetes? How high is the risk of the child developing the disease in the future? I have had diabetes for 20 years with no complications yet.

Answer:

I have no expertise on the criteria for egg donation other than what seems logical: any risk factors for inherited diseases, congenital malformations, etc. Diabetes can run in families. But the exact cause of diabetes in any one individual can be from a variety of different factors. Thus, the risk of someone developing diabetes who was conceived from your eggs is unpredictable. The decision to use your eggs is up to the donation office or whoever is on the receiving end.

Posted to Family Planning