Question:

From Buenos Aires, Argentina:

My son has done his thyroid tests and his TPOAb was positive (93), his TgAb negative, T4 was 6.9 and TSH was 1.8. What can he do? He must begin taking T4 or he must wait? Three years ago he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 18 years old, and my daughter and I were diagnosed with hypothyroidism. All of this in a few months. Do you think this can be related? Is there any possibility that my daughter will develop type 1 diabetes?

Answer:

Diabetes and thyroid disease are both autoimmune illnesses. So yes, hypothyroidism and diabetes run in families. Your daughter is at some risk for diabetes.

Should you treat? I tend to be more aggressive and treat through childhood to avoid growth problems. Talk to your doctor.

Posted to Thyroid