Question:

From Barrington, Illinois, USA:

Two of my sons, ages 10 and 15, and I were recently diagnosed with MODY2 Glucokinase. This was confirmed through genetic testing in England. Our hemoglobin A1C readings ranged from 6.1-6.9. Is there some place you would recommend with information on glucokinase, because we have been able to find very little information on this rare form of diabetes? We have been told that no treatment is needed in the form of insulin shots or pills or even diet. We have read in some articles that some insulin or pills may be needed, and I was wondering at what hemoglobin A1C level this is needed? Also, we were wondering about the statistics of the disease. We are white Caucasians and not overweight. This does not seem to fit the profile given in the articles we have read.

Answer:

With such an uncommon diagnosis, the best recommendation would be to be referred to a pediatric endocrinologist so that your questions can be answered in specific terms rather than generalizations. There is some research literature available through search engines such as PubMed.

Posted to LADA and MODY