Question:

From Mississippi, USA:

My daughter has fainting spells. I have had test after test and they keep coming back normal. Could she have hypoglycemia that is brought about with exercise or by getting to hot? When we took the glucose tolerance test her sugar was very high, but in the normal range. She is still fainting at different times of the day and even when she has eaten. I have not been able to take a blood sugar reading when she faints, however I am taking the monitor with me everywhere now. Should I insist on a specialist exam for diabetes or should I just treat her as if she has hypoglycemia and see how she does?

Answer:

Syncope or fainting can represent many different problems and requires the expertise of an experienced pediatrician and occasionally specialty referral. Hypoglycemia is not a likely cause. I would suggest consultation with a pediatric cardiologist and/or neurologist if your pediatrician concurs.

Posted to Other Illnesses and Hypoglycemia