From Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

My son is 11.5 months old. He is in the 90th percentile for height, but just under the 50th for weight. I am still breastfeeding 3-4 times a day, plus he is getting 2-4 meals a day consisting of cereal grains, full fat yogurt and fruit, cheese, Cheerios and a small amount of meat.

Is it normal for a non-diabetic to have the sweet, fruity/acetone smell on their breath? I notice it often in my son and have tried (right from when he was born) to point it out to the nurse at the hospital, but she didn't even check, saying he was fine.

I have tested his blood sugar myself (I bought a kit because I was very concerned) and both times it was in the 5-5.5 mmol range which, I understand, is normal.

There is no history of diabetes in either immediate family, although I have an aunt with type 1.

Should I be concerned about the sweet smell on his breath?

It is common to have a small amount of ketones after a long fast, e.g., first thing in the morning and if you have a keen sense of smell then you may notice this. If your son is healthy and growing normally then this is nothing to worry about.