From Hamrun, Malta:

I live in Malta and my 30 year old friend is diabetic. During my studies at the University, I studied about DNA and about the Recombinant of DNA for insulin. How likely is it that this person will be cured and live a normal life?

Unfortunately there is no cure for diabetes yet known although lots of research continues. Recombinant DNA insulin have been available for the past twenty years or so. In USA, Canada, Australia, Japan and most of Western Europe, this is the most common insulin being used. Having your friend become knowledgeable about diabetes treatment and staying in close contact with a diabetes treatment team will best define his/her needs, how to use blood glucose monitoring frequently each day to make decisions about food, activity and insulin administration and to therefore achieve the best possible glucose control.

Posted to Research: Cure