From Florida, USA:

My five-year-old son and I are both on insulin pumps. We both have good A1cs (4.5-5.0). I have been on a low-carb, low-glycemic diet for about six years (have had diabetes for 15 years) and my son has been eating in the "zone" for about two years. The doctors do not seem to have much information for diabetics eating this way. Do you think "times are changing" and the old ADA diet is saying goodbye? It seems everybody is eating low-carb, but no one can talk to their diabetes team about it.

The idea about a full caloric restriction has eased in the recent years, but the use of low carbohydrate diets are not generally recommended for individuals with diabetes. A balanced diet such as the ADA or Weight Watchers is generally the better of the diets. Too much protein -- for that matter, too much anything -- is not the best for an individual with diabetes. The stress on the kidneys could be problematic.

I would definitely discuss this with your dietician and physician. My patients always discuss new diets or fads with my staff and myself. The information is there. I think your physician will surprise you.