From St. Louis, Missouri, USA:

If someone with type 1 diabetes consumed a large amount of alcohol, would his blood sugar be affected to the degree that he would become aggressive and have memory loss as to his behavior? I know the alcohol causes some of this, but he also told me that he had been having problems with being asymptomatic when his sugars are low. I have also been around him when he says he feels his sugars are low, though he rarely will check it. But he does become very irritated with me (his mother) and becomes upset and somewhat aggressive. Actually his sugars are generally high, and when they drop to around 170, he begins to act irritated and aggressive.

It is important to note that when moderate to large amounts of alcohol are ingested, the increased intake of alcohol is a risk factor for low blood sugars. When you are impaired by alcohol, you have no idea whether you are low from your diabetes. The combination just doesn't mix. It is risky behavior. If you want to be in control, that is not a way to live. Alcohol and low sugars may cause aggressive and irrational behavior. He sounds like he is not taking care of himself and is at risk for poor health outcomes. He needs to get involved with a physician and diabetes care team that can work with him to get things turned around. Of course, this will require changing behaviors. It is not easy to do.

Posted to Other Social Issues and Behavior