From Great Falls, Montana, USA:

My friend has been having sweet smelling urine off and on for awhile now. From what I can tell on the web, this is an indication of uncontrolled blood sugar. Should she tell her doctor that her urine smells sweet? Is this a concern or can she ignore it for awhile?

Urine may contain concentrated amounts of additives from foods, medications, or other ingestions. It is not specific for diabetes. Rather, she needs to have her blood sugar checked as part of a comprehensive exam. At the least, her urine can be dipsticked for glucose. It should be negative.