Question:

From Minesing, Ontario, Canada:

My husband is 57 and an on the needle diabetic. He has always had mood swings and they have gone into fits of rage to mega rage. I now drive with my husband so the pressure is not so much on the road. It gets kind of scary when I am in the semi with him and cannot exit the area as I used to at home. Can you tell me why this happens? I heard that some diabetics are like that. What causes it so that we can change diet or something to help?

Answer:

Marked swings in blood sugars have been associated with mood swings. When your husband does his glucose monitoring, please look for dramatic highs and lows. If these are present and are associated with the mood swings, have him work with his physician to prevent these. If not, behavioral changes may be needed. A mental health professional may be helpful and may be a mediator. The counselor, psychologists, or psychiatrist can serve as a mediator where you may not be able to do this one-on-one. If he loves you, he needs to know that he makes you feel bad. He needs to receive feedback when he begins to behave badly so that he can prevent himself from getting out of sorts. Do not wait around if he becomes violent or threatening. Other help is available for domestic abuse. Do not tolerate abuse.

Posted to Behavior and Hypoglycemia