Question:

From Gaborone, Botswana:

I am 5'4'' tall and have lost a lot of weight. Previously I weighed 56 kg. I currently weigh 51 kg and would like to increase my weight. Is there a diet regimen that I can safely follow?

Answer:

A balanced diet with appropriate carbohydrate, protein and fat portions. You can obtain the information from the American Diabetes Association website or the Children with Diabetes website. I would not try any fad diets. Supplements such a Boost or Glucerna, if available in your country, are acceptable. These are highly fortified drinks specially formulated for individuals with diabetes.

ABS