From Chester, Connecticut, USA:

My 15-year-old son is 5' 3" tall and weighs 209 pounds. The tests that the doctor ran came back to say that his cholesterol level is 187 and he is anemic he also has a high insulin count. The only advice that I was given for him was to start him on a multi-vitamin with iron and get him to lose weight. How do I get a 15 year old boy with these three problems to lose weight safely? Is there a special kind of a diet for him that will deal with all three problems?

I would recommend that you and your son schedule an appointment to meet with a registered dietitian. They can develop an individualized meal plan to assist with all three conditions (anemia, hyperinsulinemia, high cholesterol). Ask your physician for a referral to an registered dietitian if necessary.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Weight and Weight Loss