From Wynantskill, New York, USA:

My two-year-old daughter was hospitalized in October 2003 for pneumonia, dehydration and a high glucose level. They told us that they felt my daughter's body was stressed and that was why her sugar level was 279 mg/dl [15.5 mmol/L]. The pediatrician had my husband and me monitoring her levels occasionally. Since then she has had sinus infections, the flu, a cold, etc. Her levels are going up and then coming down to a normal level. She appears to get hungry at night and seems to refuse to drink often. We are awaiting an appointment in late January with the endocrinologist. They are unsure if she has type 1 diabetes but would like to monitor her. Also, because she is two, her diet is very difficult to maintain as she is becoming picky. Any suggestions?

An appointment with the endocrinologist seems like a good idea. I suspect that your daughter either has diabetes or is certainly at risk for diabetes with confirmed blood sugars of those levels.