Question:

From South Africa:

I would like to know if there's any possibility of a pancreas replacement operation for a two-year-child, and would it be successful. How do we go ahead to found out and who do we contact?

Answer:

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, pancreatic transplants are not being doen routinely on children anywhere. Pancreatic (and islet cell) transplants are being done as part of rigorous protocols at certain institutions around the world, in the evaluation of new techniques and anti-rejection medications. This is being known as the "Edmonton Protocol" as the first positive news came from Edmonton in Canada.

Typically, such new techniques are done and assessed in adults well before enrolling children, let alone toddlers.

Posted to Research: Cure