Question:

From Monaca, Pennsylvania, USA:

My daughter just had blood work done for being overweight and for hepatitis-c (possible exposure). Her c-peptide (which I have no idea what they are) is 3.2 and her triglycerides are 199 (which I think is her fat intake). Can you help me understand these a little before I go to the doctor.

Answer:

If your daughter is significantly overweight, her doctor is presumably concerned that she is already demonstrating some early evidence of Type 2 Diabetes. The C peptide level of 3.2 ng/ml is perfectly normal, the triglyceride level however, which is indeed a measure of fat in the blood, is significantly above the upper level of normal assuming though that she had been fasting for >12hours before the test was taken. C peptide is most often used as a measure of insulin production in someone who is also being given insulin for diabetes. High serum triglycerides are found in a number of disorders including the insulin resistance syndrome. It is often raised in Type 2 Diabetes as a result of insulin resistance. Neither C peptide not triglyceride levels are particularly good ways of distinguishing 'overweight' states from obesity and to define this you should ask the doctor to calculate the Body Mass Index (BMI) which is the body weight in Kg divided by the height in meters squared. I hope this will be of some help in discussing these results with the doctor.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Weight and Weight Loss