From Peapack, New Jersey, USA:

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease a year and a half ago. I am presently taking Synthroid as my thyroid was destroyed with RAI, and Lotrel for high blood pressure. Recently my fasting blood glucose level has been slightly higher than normal: 118 mg/dl. The fasting test was done after a non-fasting test came back high. The doctor thinks I may be prediabetic. Is this related to the thyroid disease? I exercise at least three times a week, my weight is within normal range for my height and I eat sensibly.

It is unlikely that the high sugar is the result of your thyroid disease, especially if your replacement hormone levels have been titrated appropriately. Recently, the American Diabetes Association has changed the criteria for pre-diabetes with patients falling into the category if fasting glucose levels are between 100-125 mg/dl. This would be the range you fall into. I would continue with your positive lifestyle practices and speak with your physician about repeating the test in the next 4-6 months.

Posted to Thyroid