Question:

From Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, USA:

I am a 31 year old with type 1 diabetes. This morning I woke up and legs and arms were so wobbly that I couldn't walk and I was shaking. My wife said I sounded like I was drunk. I have never felt this before. I know my blood sugar was low, but I don't know how low it was. Could this be a seizure? What is considered a diabetic seizure?

Answer:

A typical seizure involves tonic-clonic movements of the extremities. It is associated with loss of fecal/urine continence. There may also be a postictal stage where there is loss of consciousness. There are other atypical types of seizures where the above may not occur. However, it sounds like your symptoms were the result of severe low blood sugar. The brain requires glucose as fuel and when none is present, it misfires. Your quest now is to determine how likely you are to having this recur. This is usually done with more monitoring, especially in the night (around 0300). Please share this with your physician and some preventive arrangements may be in order.