Question:

From Mumbai, Maharashtra, India:

I wish to get married to a juvenile diabetic. Would she have problems in conceiving? Her diabetes is well under control, I need medical opinion.

Answer:

In general women with diabetes do not appear to have difficulties conceiving. However, it is important that she is in good glucose control prior to conception to minimize the risk of fetal abnormalities (heart defects, spine defects, etc.). In addition, I would recommend that she take a folic acid supplement of 5 mg/day starting one month before trying to conceive and during the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. Once again this is to reduce the risk of spina bifida. She should be under the care of an obstetrician who specializes in high risk pregnancies along with her endocrinologist.

Posted to Family Planning