From Yonkers, New York, USA:

My twelve year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about two and a half years ago. He was always complaining about stomachaches and would vomit several times a day. He was tested for celiac disease and the test was negative. In the last three weeks, he has been vomiting about 2-10 times a day. He has lost five pound which is significant because he is underweight for his age. On one of my visit to the ER he was diagnosed with gastroparesis and referred to a pediatric GI. Most of the information on the Internet states that gastroparesis occurs after several years of uncontrolled diabetes. Is it possible for my son to have gastroparesis after only two and one half years with diabetes?

It would be very rare for gastroparesis from diabetes to be present in someone with such a short duration of diabetes. You did not mention his glucose control, A1c levels - usually such problems take place after many years of miserable glucose control. So, I would look for other causes rather than suggesting it is caused by the diabetes. You should discuss this specifically with your diabetes team and perhaps have them consult with the gastroenterology team directly as well to coordinate approaches and thoughts. I assume that other possible explanations have been eliminated including thyroid and adrenal problems, pernicious anemia, liver and other disorders as well as repeat celiac and inflammatory bowel disorder testing.

Posted to Complications and Other Illnesses