Question:

From New Delhi, India:

I have Type 1 Diabetes. Recently a dietitian told me that the Atkins diet is not suitable for me since it will put a tremendous pressure on my kidneys. Please guide me since I am desperately trying to lose weight.

Answer:

I agree with your dietitian. Increased protein intake above the usual 20% may cause hyperfiltration of the kidneys and serve to accelerate any diabetes-related changes in the kidney. We have seen this clinically in that patients who have dropped their protein intake back to a normal level have normalized their albumin excretion in the urine. Albumin excretion in the urine is a marker of diabetes-related changes within the kidney. This is not commonly discussed when high protein diets are mentioned or used.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Meal Planning, Food and Diet